Monday, April 18, 2011

Pokemon

Alright. It can't wait any longer. I am going to blog about Pokemon in all its splendor!

OK where do I start? I guess I will start with my first experience with the original. My older cousin had gotten the game when it came out and he played it pretty heavily in front of me for about 6 months. I didn't have a gameboy back then and there was no freaking way my parents were going to get it for me so I waited. It didn't take long for my cousin to get bored with it and pass it on to me. Actually I had to steal ten bucks out of my mom's purse to buy it from him but that is neither seen nor heard!

OK well I now own my first copy of Pokemon Red but I do not own anything to play it on. I ask my cousin if he would sell me his but of course he said said no. I don't think I could have found enough money in my mom's purse to buy my own so I was stuck. I went home and started digging through all of my super nintendo accessories and I found it. I remembered that a few years back all of my extended relatives that didn't know me very well had bought me a super game boy. This allowed a person to play their game boy games on their super nintendo. So I wouldn't be able to take my game with me anywhere but that was ok I now was able to play it.

So it was summer and I didn't have much to do so I played. I played a lot! I beat the game in about 3 days. It was tough and wonderful. I got lost at one point and had to call my cousin to help me but overall I felt like a Pokemon master! Soon after I had played and beaten the game like ten times I got my first gameboy. It was a purple gameboy color. My best friend and cousin at the time were playing side by side and trying to best each other but he could just never beat me. I played against all of my friends and they couldn't beat me either. I was playing the Pokemon card game at our local game shop when the owner asked my to battle him on the Pokemon stadium on the 64. I did and I crushed him. He was shocked and excited at the same time. He gave me a piece of paper and asked me if I wanted to go and play at a tournament in Seattle. I didn't think my mom would want me to go but I asked my aunt and she drove me and my cousin. It was in a small shop in Seattle and there were about forty other kids around my age there. My first match was fast and really too easy. I won with just my Alakazam. The next three matches went close to the same. I was in the finals and I was up against the oldest kid in the place. His party was pretty tough but I won with only fainting two Pokemon. They gave me a sweet patch and told me that I could advance to the next stage in the tournament line!

I was pretty shocked. My prize was a limited edition Pokemon gameboy color. It was blue and had Pokemon sticking out all over it. I loved that thing. So I came back to Seattle about a month later and played three tournaments and swept them all. It got harder the closer I got and I threw one match to a little girl. It didn't effect my standings so I didn't mind. She was super excited. Well I got to the regional finals and lost spectacularly and that was pretty much the end of my professional play. I was pretty poor and couldn't afford to go back during the next few years tournaments. I was pretty bummed but by that time I owned all of the Pokemon games out at the time and I was still beating all of my friends on a regular basis so I didn't mind.

So time passed and I got older. I was in high school now and still playing pretty much every day. I was in choir and we had a competition at our school. I had all of my stuff in my back pack so I could play while we watched the other choirs preform. During lunch an older girl asked me and my cousin if we wanted to go to lunch with her because she could drive us off campus. Of course we went but when I got back my back pack and all of my games were gone. That was the last time I saw my Pokemon gameboy...I still dream about it. After that it took me almost 6 years to get all of the games back. It was a pretty hard time for me...

Well now that I am an adult I still play Pokemon and I always will. I get the same feeling inside when I hear a new one is coming out and I wish that I could compete again and have fun in the arena but I don't really see that happening. If anyone wants to battle I am always ready!

So That is an abridged version of my Pokemon story.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like it was the coolest gameboy ever. I hope someone somewhere got joy out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try to enter a tournament this year or next! I would go with you and be your cheering fan-girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! I would totally tourny with you! So would Mitch - just let us know! Also never knew you were SO pro, just knew you could kick all our asses :)

    ReplyDelete