Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Universe

The universe is old. How old you ask? Well some believe that the earth is only a couple of thousand years old other however see the universe as billions of years. I don't really know where I fall. I want to say that I jump on the science bandwagon but that is only because the alternative is preposterous.

This subject has been brought up quite a lot in my logic class almost daily. My teacher says that it took us billions of years  to figure out that it took us billions of years to get to this point. So that in this point in time is the only point in our exsistence that we can truly see how far we have come. We have billions sunk into space exploration and all that they can tell us is that we can see millions of years into the past when we look at far away solar systems. This idea then becomes flawed beyond all reason to me. Time is relative as Einstien found out and that we can not put a time index on what we see through a telescope. I know the old idea that when we look up into the nights sky we see stars. Not really though we are seeing death. We see the glimmer of what that star used to be. Because light travels differently we don't see it as it is. We see an almost reflection of what it used to be. So we tell ourselves we are seeing into the past. I don't really understand that. We are seeing pictures of what used to be. That is like saying when I look an old picture of my dad I am seeing into the past. I am only seeing a glimpse of one image that has already happened. I am not experiencing in in the same time frame or even in the same dimension so how could they possible say that we are looking into the past.

This whole idea gets me all riled up. I am going to go eat some cake and settle down. More to come!

2 comments:

  1. "I know the old idea that when we look up into the nights sky we see stars. Not really though we are seeing death. We see the glimmer of what that star used to be."

    So depressing :( I don't think I'll ever see stars the same way again.

    What about shooting stars? (I should ask you this out loud so that you can explain it to me right now)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting discussion glad that I came across such informative post. Keep up the good work friend. Glad to be part of your net community. See more Popular Account on Tik Tok Video, please visit tiktok viewer

    ReplyDelete