Monday, April 4, 2011

The X Files, DC comics, and Magic the Gathering

So today I have spent a large amount of time building a new deck and watching The X Files on Netflix. I would call this a very good day. I have always been into magic more than I would like to admit but it hasn't ever really gotten me anywhere. Just a side note. I love the X-files and that is all I really have to say about it as of right now!

I have lived every nerds dream. I worked in a comic book/ Anime store. I got paid to go to comic conventions where I sat and read comics all day while people thumbed through our back issues. It was one of the best two years of my life. After the first year of working there I had watched almost all of the anime we had for rent in the store. I wasn't really into comics at the time and I hated....loathed DC. Me and my boss would get into massive arguments about it. He kept telling me that I needed to read Superman: Red Sun. I pushed it off for a couple of months but I finally cracked. I picked it up and started reading...That was when I realized that an entire world of comics was just waiting for me to dive in and immerse myself in all it's glory. I read Superman: Red Son in about an hour I just couldn't put it down. After that I became a DC die hard and I still am. I am wearing a Green Lantern shirt right now! Well at this point I spent most of my time reading comics and hanging out until my boss came to me one day and asked if we should start carrying Magic the Gathering?

I said "Hell yes" there should be money in that right? I was right but most of that money came right out of my own pocket. All of a sudden I was a mega nerd. I was reading comics and playing magic every day. I got so into that I started going to all of the pre-release tournaments for all of the new sets of cards. Then I wanted to see if I was any good and me and a few other friends went to a few other tourneys but we were all pretty horrible and we didn't have the money to buy the good cards that everyone else had but then I moved away and magic kind of took a side note. I started reading more and playing less. Every once in awhile it swims its way back into my mind and it causes me to break out my decks and rework them hoping that someone will be like "Hey we should play!" but no one ever does...

I guess I will leave it on that note and to Mike there is always a reason to look beyond the page we are currently reading. If we were to know the outcome we will most likely push fate to the limit and see if our wings really will melt when we get too close to the sun. I am a dreamer and I always will be.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, let's play Magic TONIGHT!

    I love that you've shown me the glory of Star Trek, X-Files, and so many other nerdy things. Being a nerd is awesome!

    ReplyDelete