Thursday, April 7, 2011

Star Trek = Truth

I was flipping through the channels the other night when I was having troubles sleeping. I crept out of the bedroom, opened the offensively squeaky door, checked to see if I woke up Abby (even though I know that an elephant could come stomping through the bedroom and she would at most roll over), and then made my way for the couch. Sometimes I love to flip through late night infomercials looking for the next best gadget. No one would have ever thought that the Snuggie would take the country by storm but it did, even if you buy one as a joke it is still selling.

Well after finding mostly weight loss and muscle building items I moved on. I landed as I always do on G4 and they were playing reruns of Star Trek: the next generation. I dropped the remote and let the couch envelope me. I lost myself in an the episode that I have probably seen twenty times. This episode has the crew reliving the same day over and over again seeing as they are stuck in a time loop due to some kind of hole in subspace. I thought to myself "yeah that totally makes sense" even though it is pure science fiction and I should be like that isn't even possible. I love how I can suspend my beliefs for pure fiction things but I can't in any other aspect of my life.

Well after the episode ended another started. As much as I love star trek watching it in the dark while feeling warm and cozy is a sure fire sleep aid. I started to drift and realized that my night was now over. I crept back into the bedroom and fell on the bed harder than I wanted to but still Abby didn't wake. I actually fell on her, I probably moved her 6 inches from where she was. She didn't make a sound or move a muscle. I stood open mouth at the edge of the bed in disbelief. In my head I wanted to try and do various things to her to see if it would wake her but I glanced at the clock and it was already three in the morning and I was pretty tired so I deserted that idea for another time. After I turned the bedroom T.V on and hit the volume button once she was half awake and asking me to turn it down. The joys of being married.

Back to star trek, I believe that star trek had it right. The idea of a giant Utopian society free of crime and money sounds amazing. I know that most people in our country would not give up power and money in exchange for bringing every person to the same level. There would be no middle or low class just people. As I love the idea of space exploration and meeting new alien races I don't however agree with spending all of our time and resources on it. After we gain our utopia and all disease is eradicated then we can focus on otherworldly endeavors. I love star trek and I hope that one day I can wear a sweet color coded uniform and be proud but I can't say that it will ever be possible.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.
-Captain Picard to Data, Star Trek: The Next Generation, “Peak Performance”

2 comments:

  1. She always was an insanely deep sleeper. One of the great benefits of sharing a room with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What! This blog post is SHOCKING to me! I can't believe you fell on me and I didn't even wake up...that's insane! I was literally laughing out loud while I was reading this post. I love you like crazy and I love that you watch infomercials and watch Star Trek because you can't sleep, and that you brainstorm things to do to me in my sleep...because as weird as the ideas may be, I know I will laugh my butt off hearing about it later!

    In other note, Star Trek gives me hope for the future even though I know it's science fiction. The quote you used is a great one, too....we need to get a male tortoise so we can have our little Jean-Luc back.

    ReplyDelete